Human Resources Development
Raghava is head of Bioinformatics Centre at CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology, Chandigarh since 1994, where he managing bioinformatics team of around 40 professionals. In addition to provide service to community and institute, his group is contributing towards human resource development. Following is brief summary of manpower trained in last 20 years.
Long Term Training
- Ph.D. Students Supervised: In last 15 years 24 students completed there Ph.D. under supervision of Raghava's (See list of Alumini). Presently more than 10 students are doing their doctrate under his guidance.
- Project Staff: More than 30 students worked as project assistant, project fellow, research associate, pool officers and scientist fellows. An average one to two years training was provided to each student in the field of bioinformatics, computational biology, informatics, chemoinformatics, vaccine and drug informatics.
- OSCAT2012 (Open Source for Computer-Aided Translational Medicine) : Group organized OSCAT2012 at Institute of Microbial Technology, Chandigarh, India. This conference was organized in February 2012 (22nd to 25th Feb.) for scientific community working in the field of drug discovery particularly on Mycobacterium tuberculosis. It was attended by more than 200 national and international participants.
- Indo-Russia Workshop : Bioinformatics center at Institute Microbial Technology organized Indo-Russia workshop from 15 to 18 November 2010. This workshop was attened by 25 researchers from India and Russia.
- OSCADD (Open Source Computer-aided Drug Discovery) : Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH), Chandigarh organized an international conference on Open Source for Computer Aided Drug Discovery (OSCADD) from 22nd to 26th March 2009. This conference was attended by around 200 national and international participants.
National Conferences, Workshops & Trainings
- Computer-Aided Protein Design : A national workshop was organized on computer-aided protein design from 6 to 10 November 1995. The idea of this workshop was to familiarize the participants with the state of art techniques in the field of protein structure prediction. Around 30 participants attended this workshop.
- Applications of Computer and Internet : This is begnning to a new ear called era of Internet. In order to understand computers and Internet applications, we organized a national workshop from 6-9 July, 1990. This workshop was attended by more than 35 participants. for community Computers and Internet have made a profound impact on the day to day working of scientific & academic communities. In order to harness & utilize the full potential of this marvellous technology, BIC at IMTECH organized a traing programme on application of internet in bioinformatics, from 29 November to 2 December 1999. This was attended by around 30 participants.
- Application of Computer & Internet in Bioinformatics : Computers and Internet have made a profound impact on the day to day working of scientific & academic communities. In order to harness & utilize the full potential of this marvellous technology, BIC at IMTECH organized a traing programme on application of internet in bioinformatics, from 29 November to 2 December 1999. This was attended by around 30 participants.
- Public Domain Resources in Biology: The idea of this workshop cum training programme was to familiarize the participants with the computer/Internet resources available in public domain in area of biology. This training cover both theoretical and practical aspects of biological resources (software/ web servers). It was organized from 27 to 30 Sepetember 2000 and attended by 30 (around) participants.
- Training Course on Winisis: A course on Windows version of ISIS called WINISIS was organized by Raghava's group at Bioinformatics Centre, Chandigarh during April 16-20, 2001.
- National Workshop on Genomics and Proteomics : Bioinformatics Centre organized national workshop on genomics and proteomics from 9 to 12 october 2001. Under this training program, we familiarize the participants with resources and analyzing tools available in field of Genomics and Proteomics. It cover both theoretical and practical aspects. This was attended around 30 studends, researchers and scientific faculty.
- Computer Aided Vaccine Design : A national workhop on Computer-aided subunit vaccine design was organized from 7 to 10 April 2003 by Bioinformatics Centre at IMTECH, Chandigarh. Aim of this workshop was to trained researchers in the field of designing computer-aided vaccines. This workshop was attended by 35 (around) particpants working in the field of vaccine design.
- Analysis and Management of Microarray Data : Bioinformatics Centre at CSIR-IMTECH, Chandigarh organized a workshop from 25 to 27 October 2003 on Analysis and management of microarray data. Around 30 participants were trained in the filed of genomics where participants learn how to mine microarray data efficiently.
- Machine Learning Techniques in Functional Proteomics : A national workshop was organized from 18 to 21 October, 2005 on functional proteomics. The major objective of this workshop is to familiarize the participants with machine learning techniques such as ANN, SVM, HMM, memory based reasoning etc. This was attended around 35 participants from different organizations.
- Bioinformatics Resources on miRNA and siRNA : A National Workshop was organized from 14th-17th November 2006 on resouces on RNA therapeutics. It was attended by 35 participants from different organizations.
- Predicting Molecular Interactions : A national workshop was organized on Computational approaches for predicting molecular interactions from 9 to 12 October 2007. The aim of this workshop was to familiarize the participants with bioinformatics resources including databases and software tools to study protein-protein/peptide/nucleic acid interactions. More than 30 participants attended this workshop.
- Trend in Protein Modeling and cheminformatics : Bioinformatics organized a national workshop on protein modelling and chemoinformatics from 14th to 16th January 2009. In this workshop lectures were delivered by distinguished speakers like Martin Karplus (Nobale Prize Winner), Harvard University. It was attended by around 30 researchers.
- In silico Approaches for Designing Bioactive Peptides : The aim of this workshop was to familiarize participants with expermental as well as in silico approaches including prediction, modeling and molecular simulations; designing of peptides. It was held at CSIR-IMTECH from 18 to 21 October 2011.
- IMTECH-SIS 2014 : Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH) and Society for Information Science (SIS) organized 31st convention & conference on BIG DATA Mining (The concepts, methods and applications). This conference was organized at IMTECH, Chandigarh from November 27-29, 2014. This was attended by around 100 participants from different part of the country.
- Current Trends in Bioinformatics : Bioinformatics Centre at IMTECH organized one day symposium on current trends in bioinformatics. This symposium was organized on 6th November 2015; it was attended by around 170 participants.
- Genome Resources, Assembly and Annotation : Bioinformatics Centre at CSIR-IMTECH is organizing a workshop with theme of bioinformatics approaches on genome resources, assembly and annotation. The aim of this workshop is to familiarize the participants with in silico approaches to assemble and annotate whole genome sequencing data. The workshop also includes exploration and application of whole genome assembly and annotation of resources created by scientific community.
Specialized Training on Request
- Bioinformatics to South Korean Team : A customized training was organized for employees of a private company from South Korea.
- Perl in Bioinformatics : A customized training was organized for employees of DOEACC on their request.
Contribution towards Teaching
- Tools & Techniques: Raghava is regulaly teaching application of computers from last 15 years, to research scholars under pre-Ph.D. course "Tools & Teachniques" of JNU.
- Bioinformatics Course: Raghava is regulaly teaching web-based services in bioinformatics from last 15 years, to research scholars under pre-Ph.D. course "Bioinformatics" of JNU.
- Bioinformatics for Computer Postgraduate : One semister was taught at POSTECH (Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang, South Korea) to students of department of computer science (March to September, 2004).
Misc. (Invited Talks/Lectures)